How to Answer a Summons for Debt Collection in Washington (2020 Guide)

Eva Bacevice

July 13, 2020

Summary: This guide will show you how to respond to a debt collection lawsuit in Washington. You can also use SoloSuit to respond in 15 minutes.

Have you received a dreaded Summons and Complaint about a debt? You might be tempted to ignore it but that is the worst thing that you can do! Not responding ensures that you automatically lose.

Just remember, you are not alone. Over 70 million people in the U.S. have to deal with debt collections every year. If you take care of the process correctly, then you will have far greater success, than if you try to hide from the problem.

If you live in Washington state and you need help responding to a debt collection lawsuit then please check out SoloSuit's automated services. We can help you navigate the often-complicated Washington state debt collection laws.

We know that you don't want to face being sued over a debt and we understand exactly how you feel. This article was created to help you make it through the process so you can properly respond to the debt lawsuit. We will explain how to correctly answer a summons that you receive from a debt collection agency in Washington state.

Below you will find the proper way to respond to a summons issued by a debt collection agency in the Evergreen State. We will provide specific information on filing in Washington, any necessary WA deadlines, and information about the forms you might need to complete the process.

Table of Contents

Washington Deadline for Answering a Debt Collection Summons

You will have 20 days to file an answer with the Washington court once you are served the Summons and Complaint, according to CR 4 PROCESS (a). Please remember, this countdown does not start from the 20 days stamped on the Summons and Complaint, but it is 20 days from the date that you were handed or mailed the summons.

Washington Answer to Summons Forms

To respond to the Summons and Complaint, you need to create and file an Answer.

You can use SoloSuit, or use this form to do it on your own. This is a general form that covers civil lawsuits issued for debt collection cases. You can use the form to respond to the Summons and Complaint form. Filling out the Answer Form gives you a chance to tell the court that the debt collectors' claims are not true.

Steps to Respond to a Debt Collection Case in Washington

After you receive a Summons and Complaint, you have the right to disagree in writing by delivering your Answer. It is imperative that you disagree with the statements made in the complaint, or the judge will see your silence as agreement and may give the debt collector what they are seeking. Remember, the debt collector wins by default if you do not respond with a written Answer. If a default judgment is entered against you, then you will receive a Notice of Judgement, this is especially true if you have not at least filed a Notice of Appearance.

Sadly, once the debt collector receives a judgment against you then they can take your money from your bank account and paycheck. They can even take property that you own in an effort to pay the judgment. It is imperative that you respond to the Summons and Complaint with an Answer or Notice of Appearance, so you do not lose by default.

According to the Washington state debt collection laws, this Answer must be filed within 20 days of receiving the Summons and Complaint.

In order to respond to a debt collection case in Washington, you must deliver to the debt collector's representative who signed the Summons and Complaint one of the following:

  • A Notice of Appearance
  • An Answer

You must also file a copy of your Answer or Notice of Appearance with the court and send another copy to the collector's attorney.

What is a Notice of Appearance?

A Notice of Appearance is a statement that says you will appear in the lawsuit. If you opt to deliver a Notice of Appearance then it will stop the debt collection, Washington State court will be unable to enter a default judgment without first providing a hearing. However, please remember that a Notice of Appearance does not explain your side of the story and position in the lawsuit. An Answer explains your case and is an important document to file.

Steps to Respond to the Debt Collection Lawsuit

The lawsuit starts when the debt collector serves you with two documents that are sent either via mail or delivered in person. The documents are referred to as the Summons and Complaint. In Washington State, you will have 20 days to respond either with a Notice of Appearance or an Answer. Ideally, you should use an Answer, so you have the chance to explain your side of things briefly. To respond with an Answer, you must use the proper document.

Remember, if you fail to respond within 20 days then you will lose your case and a default judgment will be entered.

The three steps involved in responding to a Complaint and Summons with an Answer include:

  1. Answer each one of the complaints listed on the Complaint and Summons
  2. Provide an assertive affirmative defense
  3. File one copy of the Answer with the courts and send the other copy to the debt collection agency.

1. Create an Answer Document

First, you will need to create your Answer document.

Gather all the information that has been listed in the Complaint and Summons so you can quickly add it to your Answer.

Information that you need will include:

  • Personal information such as your name, phone number, and address
  • Debt collector's information such as the name of the company suing you or the attorney
  • Court information such as the name of the court where the case is filed, the state of Washington, and the address of the court.
  • All case information such as the index number, case number, civil number, and the amount of the lawsuit.

SoloSuit makes it easy to find the right information.

All information that you provide is referred to as ‘styling' by the courts. It is important that you add it all correctly to the Answer document. Once the Answer document has been successfully created and you have added the required information then its time to proceed to the next step.

2. Answer Each Issue of the Complaint

You might hesitate to answer the complaint, but with proper instructions, the entire process is relatively simple. You need to take the time to read the complaint and then completely fill out the Answer. Basically, you have three ways to respond to each paragraph of the Complaint :

  • Admit: This means “I Agree”
  • Deny: This means “I disagree”
  • Deny for lack of knowledge: This means “I don't know”

SoloSuit makes it simple to respond the right way.

Pick the appropriate response and then fill in your answer. Be sure to list each answer with the number of the paragraph.

Choose one of these responses and write it into your Answer. List each answer with the number for the corresponding paragraph.

3. Assert affirmative defenses

With an affirmative defense, you are stating that the debt collector who is suing you does not have a case. This means that you must list your defenses in your Answer.

Typical defenses include:

  • The debt collector is mistaken, and the debt is not yours.
  • You do not owe the creditor because the debt was canceled
  • The Washington state debt collection statute of limitations has expired (statute in Washington is three years)
  • You partially paid the debt
  • The debt has been paid in full or excused
  • You acted as a co-signer, but you were never told your rights when acting as a co-signer

With SoloSuit you can make the right affirmative defenses the right way.

Merely stating that you are unable to pay the debt is not a defense.

4. File the answer with the court and serve the plaintiff

You are almost to the end of completing the response so please do not forget to file your Answer. You would be amazed at how many people do not undertake this final step.

In order to file the Answer form:

  • Print two Answer forms
  • Mail or deliver one copy to the court
  • Mail the other copy to the debt collector or the debt collector's attorney

SoloSuit files for you.

You may find the needed address printed on the Summons and Complaint that you received. It may be absent. If you need the address, give us a call.

That is the basic process for responding to a debt lawsuit. Now that you know the process, let's consider a few frequently asked questions that many might have about filing an Answer to a Summons and Complaint.

What is SoloSuit?

SoloSuit makes it easy to respond to a debt collection lawsuit.

How it works: SoloSuit is a step-by-step web-app that asks you all the necessary questions to complete your answer. Upon completion, you can either print the completed forms and mail in the hard copies to the courts or you can pay SoloSuit to file it for you and to have an attorney review the document.

Respond with SoloSuit

"First time getting sued by a debt collector and I was searching all over YouTube and ran across SoloSuit, so I decided to buy their services with their attorney reviewed documentation which cost extra but it was well worth it! SoloSuit sent the documentation to the parties and to the court which saved me time from having to go to court and in a few weeks the case got dismissed!" – James

Start My Answer

>>Read the FastCompany article: Debt Lawsuits Are Complicated: This Website Makes Them Simpler To Navigate

>>Read the NPR story on SoloSuit: A Student Solution To Give Utah Debtors A Fighting Chance

What exactly is a Summons and Complaint?

The Complaint is a statement that outlines what the debt collector claims you owe. The Summons lets you know that a complaint has been filed with the court and that you are being sued.

Do I have to respond to the Summons and Complaint?

Yes, you must file what is referred to as a written Answer to the Summons and Complaint if you want to avoid a default judgment. A default judgment means you automatically lose. At the very least, you must file a Notice of Appearance in Washington state to avoid the default judgment.

What if I do not file the Answer to the Summons and Complaint?

You lose and the debt collector wins by default judgment. The debt collector will be given everything that they are asking for and they will be able to garnish your wages and put a lien on your house.

Can the debt collector still file a Summons and Complaint against me if I offer to make small payments or promise to pay the amount in full at a later date?

Yes, the debt collector can still file a lawsuit against you. Also, if the debt collector wins, then the court will usually add on additional costs. Please remember, the debt collector is under no obligation to accept anything less than what they claim you owe.

What if I cannot afford to pay the debt, can I still be sued?

Yes, the inability to pay the debt is not considered a valid defense.

Statute of Limitations on Debt in Washington

The statute of limitations is a law that sets a deadline on a debt. Once that debt deadline is past, a collector cannot legally sue you for the debt. But that doesn't mean they won't sue you. And it is still up to you to bring up this defense in your Answer. If you don't bring it up, it won't be enforced. In Washington, the deadlines from the statute of limitations ranges from 3 years to 10 years, based on the type of debt.

Washington Statute of Limitations
on Debt

Debt Type

Deadline in Years









Credit Card




Source: Findlaw

Washington state does have government-funded organizations that provides free legal services if you fit certain criteria.

Northwest Justice Project

Washington State Department of Child Support

Office of Civil Legal Aid

Key Takeaways

Overall, you should now have a general idea of how to successfully file an Answer to a Summons and Complaint in Washington State.

You have 20 days after receiving the Summons and Complaint to file an Answer

You must respond with an Answer form or a Notice of Appearance that you file with the debt collector or the debt collector's attorney plus the court.

When filling out the Answer you must complete the following:

  • Answer each complaint in the Answer form
  • Provide a valid and affirmative defense
  • Serve the Answer to the debt collector or the debt collector's attorney and file it with the courts

How to Answer a Summons for Debt Collection Guides for Other States

Here's a list of guides for other states.

All 50 states.