How to Answer a Summons for Debt Collection in Washington (2022 Guide)

Eva Bacevice

May 09, 2022

Summary: This guide will show you how to respond to a debt collection lawsuit in Washington. You can also use SoloSuit to respond in 15 minutes.

Have you received a dreaded Summons and Complaint about a debt? You might be tempted to ignore it but that is the worst thing that you can do! Not responding ensures that you automatically lose.

Just remember, you are not alone. Over 70 million people in the U.S. have to deal with debt collections every year. If you take care of the process correctly, then you will have far greater success, than if you try to hide from the problem.

If you live in Washington state and you need help responding to a debt collection lawsuit then please check out SoloSuit's automated services. We can help you navigate the often-complicated Washington state debt collection laws.

We know that you don't want to face being sued over a debt and we understand exactly how you feel. This article was created to help you make it through the process so you can properly respond to the debt lawsuit. We will explain how to correctly answer a summons that you receive from a debt collection agency in Washington state.

Below you will find the proper way to respond to a summons issued by a debt collection agency in the Evergreen State. We will provide specific information on filing in Washington, any necessary WA deadlines, and information about the forms you might need to complete the process.

Respond in Washington
What is SoloSuit?
Washington State Collection Laws
What Happens if You Don't Respond
Settle the Debt
Statute of Limitations in Washington
Washington Legal Aid Organizations
Key Takeaways
Guides for Other States

Washington Deadline for Answering a Debt Collection Summons

You will have 20 days to file an answer with the Washington court once you are served the Summons and Complaint, according to CR 4 PROCESS (a). Please remember, this countdown does not start from the 20 days stamped on the Summons and Complaint, but it is 20 days from the date that you were handed or mailed the summons.

Washington Answer to Summons forms

To respond to the Summons and Complaint, you need to create and file an Answer.

You can use SoloSuit, or use this form to do it on your own. This is a general form that covers civil lawsuits issued for debt collection cases. You can use the form to respond to the Summons and Complaint form. Filling out the Answer Form gives you a chance to tell the court that the debt collectors' claims are not true.

Know the requirements to respond to a debt collection case in Washington

After you receive a Summons and Complaint, you have the right to disagree in writing by delivering your Answer. It is imperative that you disagree with the statements made in the complaint, or the judge will see your silence as agreement and may give the debt collector what they are seeking. Remember, the debt collector wins by default if you do not respond with a written Answer. If a default judgment is entered against you, then you will receive a Notice of Judgement, this is especially true if you have not at least filed a Notice of Appearance.

Sadly, once the debt collector receives a judgment against you then they can take your money from your bank account and paycheck. They can even take property that you own in an effort to pay the judgment. It is imperative that you respond to the Summons and Complaint with an Answer or Notice of Appearance, so you do not lose by default.

According to the Washington state debt collection laws, this Answer must be filed within 20 days of receiving the Summons and Complaint.

In order to respond to a debt collection case in Washington, you must deliver to the debt collector's representative who signed the Summons and Complaint one of the following:

  • A Notice of Appearance
  • An Answer

You must also file a copy of your Answer or Notice of Appearance with the court and send another copy to the collector's attorney.

What is a Notice of Appearance?

A Notice of Appearance is a statement that says you will appear in the lawsuit. If you opt to deliver a Notice of Appearance then it will stop the debt collection, Washington State court will be unable to enter a default judgment without first providing a hearing. However, please remember that a Notice of Appearance does not explain your side of the story and position in the lawsuit. An Answer explains your case and is an important document to file.

Steps to respond to the debt collection lawsuit

The lawsuit starts when the debt collector serves you with two documents that are sent either via mail or delivered in person. The documents are referred to as the Summons and Complaint. In Washington State, you will have 20 days to respond either with a Notice of Appearance or an Answer. Ideally, you should use an Answer, so you have the chance to explain your side of things briefly. To respond with an Answer, you must use the proper document.

Remember, if you fail to respond within 20 days then you will lose your case and a default judgment will be entered.

The three steps involved in responding to a Complaint and Summons with an Answer include:

  1. Answer each one of the complaints listed on the Complaint and Summons
  2. Provide an assertive affirmative defense
  3. File one copy of the Answer with the courts and send the other copy to the debt collection agency.

1. Create an Answer document

First, you will need to create your Answer document.

Gather all the information that has been listed in the Complaint and Summons so you can quickly add it to your Answer.

Information that you need will include:

  • Personal information such as your name, phone number, and address
  • Debt collector's information such as the name of the company suing you or the attorney
  • Court information such as the name of the court where the case is filed, the state of Washington, and the address of the court.
  • All case information such as the index number, case number, civil number, and the amount of the lawsuit.

SoloSuit makes it easy to find the right information.

All information that you provide is referred to as 'styling' by the courts. It is important that you add it all correctly to the Answer document. Once the Answer document has been successfully created and you have added the required information then its time to proceed to the next step.

2. Answer each issue listed in the Complaint

You might hesitate to answer the complaint, but with proper instructions, the entire process is relatively simple. You need to take the time to read the complaint and then completely fill out the Answer. Basically, you have three ways to respond to each paragraph of the Complaint :

  • Admit: This means “I Agree”
  • Deny: This means “I disagree”
  • Deny for lack of knowledge: This means “I don't know”

SoloSuit makes it simple to respond the right way.

Pick the appropriate response and then fill in your answer. Be sure to list each answer with the number of the paragraph.

Choose one of these responses and write it into your Answer. List each answer with the number for the corresponding paragraph.

3. Assert affirmative defenses

With an affirmative defense, you are stating that the debt collector who is suing you does not have a case. This means that you must list your defenses in your Answer.

Typical defenses include:

  • The debt collector is mistaken, and the debt is not yours.
  • You do not owe the creditor because the debt was canceled
  • The Washington state debt collection statute of limitations has expired (statute in Washington is three years)
  • You partially paid the debt
  • The debt has been paid in full or excused
  • You acted as a co-signer, but you were never told your rights when acting as a co-signer

With SoloSuit you can make the right affirmative defenses the right way.

Merely stating that you are unable to pay the debt is not a defense.

4. File the answer with the court and serve the plaintiff

You are almost to the end of completing the response so please do not forget to file your Answer. You would be amazed at how many people do not undertake this final step.

In order to file the Answer form:

  • Print two Answer forms
  • Mail or deliver one copy to the court
  • Mail the other copy to the debt collector or the debt collector's attorney

SoloSuit files for you.

You may find the needed address printed on the Summons and Complaint that you received. It may be absent. If you need the address, give us a call.

That is the basic process for responding to a debt lawsuit. Now that you know the process, let's consider a few frequently asked questions that many might have about filing an Answer to a Summons and Complaint.

What is SoloSuit?

SoloSuit makes it easy to respond to a debt collection lawsuit.

How it works: SoloSuit is a step-by-step web-app that asks you all the necessary questions to complete your answer. Upon completion, you can either print the completed forms and mail in the hard copies to the courts or you can pay SoloSuit to file it for you and to have an attorney review the document.

Respond with SoloSuit

"First time getting sued by a debt collector and I was searching all over YouTube and ran across SoloSuit, so I decided to buy their services with their attorney reviewed documentation which cost extra but it was well worth it! SoloSuit sent the documentation to the parties and to the court which saved me time from having to go to court and in a few weeks the case got dismissed!" – James

Start My Answer

We have answers.
Join our community of over 40,000 people.

You can ask your questions on the SoloSuit forum and the community will help you out. Whether you need help now or are just looking for support, we're here for you.

Ask a Question

>>Read the FastCompany article: Debt Lawsuits Are Complicated: This Website Makes Them Simpler To Navigate

>>Read the NPR story on SoloSuit: A Student Solution To Give Utah Debtors A Fighting Chance

Know Washington state collection laws

Educating yourself on the debt collection laws that govern Washington state will help you protect yourself from abusive and manipulative debt collectors. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Washington State Legislature protect you from such abuse and manipulation. Here, we will explain everything you should know.

These are some of the most important debt collection laws you should know for Washington state:

  • A license is mandatory in order to "act, assume to act, or advertise as a collection agency or out-of-state collection agency" (RCW 19.16.110)
  • Collectors cannot call you before 7:30am or after 9:00pm
  • Harrassment, threatening language, and offensive language are all violations of the FDCPA
  • Debt collectors cannot contact you or your spouse more than 3 times a week, and they are prohibited from discussing your debt with your family members, friends, or coworkers

If a debt collector has violated any of these laws, or used any of these tactics to get you to pay off a debt, you can report them to one of the following agencies:

Department of Licensing

Collection Agency Board
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Phone: 800-451-7985

Washington State Attorney General

Consumer Protection Division
800 5th Ave., Suite 2000
Seattle, WA 98104-3188
Phone:  1-800-551-4636
Online Complaint:

Federal Trade Commission

915 Second Avenue, Room 2806
Seattle, Washington 98174
Phone: 1-877-382-4357 Website:

What exactly is a Summons and Complaint?

When you are sued for debt, you shoudl receive a court Summons and Complaint. These are legal documents that initiate a debt lawsuit case. The Summons lets you know that a complaint has been filed with the court and that you are being sued. The Complaint outlines all the specific claims that are being made against you (how much you owe, who you owe, dates of missed payments, etc).

Do I have to respond to the Summons and Complaint?

Yes, you must file a written Answer to the Summons and Complaint if you want to avoid a default judgment. A default judgment means you automatically lose. At the very least, you must file a Notice of Appearance in Washington state to avoid the default judgment.

If you fail to file an Answer and a default judgment is entered against you, then the company or collector suing you has the legal right to garnish your wages, put liens on your property, and even freeze your bank account. This is why it is so crucial to respond to the Summons and Complaint.

What if I do not file the Answer to the Summons and Complaint?

If you do not file an Answer, you will automatically lose the case. Like we mentioned, this gives the collector the chance to file a default judgment against you, which gives them the right to access your paycheck and take money out of it each month. The debt collector will be given everything that they are asking for, including court fees and attorney costs.

Can the debt collector still file a Summons and Complaint against me if I offer to make small payments or promise to pay the amount in full at a later date?

Yes, the debt collector can still file a lawsuit against you. Also, if the debt collector wins, then the court will usually add on additional costs. Please remember, the debt collector is under no obligation to accept anything less than what they claim you owe.

If I cannot afford to pay the debt, can I still be sued?

Yes, the inability to pay the debt is not considered a valid defense.

That being said, you still have options. For example, if you've already been sued and you can't afford to pay the full amount, you can reach out to the collector and make a settlement offer. Here's how it works.

Since most debt collection agencies purchase old debts from credit card companies, banks, and other financial institutions for as little as 8% of the original debt amount, they will still make a profit when you pay back a portion of the debt. If you are stressed about paying off the debt in full, consider negotiating a settlement. Start by sending a Debt Lawsuit Settlement Letter. This video explains some helpful hints for negotiating a settlement that's ideal for you:

Statute of Limitations on Debt in Washington

The statute of limitations is a law that sets a deadline on a debt. Once that debt deadline is past, a collector cannot legally sue you for the debt. But that doesn't mean they won't sue you. And it is still up to you to bring up this defense in your Answer. If you don't bring it up, it won't be enforced. In Washington, the deadlines from the statute of limitations ranges from 3 years to 10 years, based on the type of debt.

Washington Statute of Limitations
on Debt

Debt Type

Deadline in Years









Credit Card




Source: Findlaw

Washington state does have government-funded organizations that provides free legal services if you fit certain criteria. Here are some:

Key Takeaways

Overall, you should now have a general idea of how to successfully file an Answer to a Summons and Complaint in Washington State.

You have 20 days after receiving the Summons and Complaint to file an Answer

You must respond with an Answer form or a Notice of Appearance that you file with the debt collector or the debt collector's attorney plus the court.

When filling out the Answer you must complete the following:

  • Answer each complaint in the Answer form
  • Provide a valid and affirmative defense
  • Serve the Answer to the debt collector or the debt collector's attorney and file it with the courts

How to Answer a Summons for Debt Collection Guides for Other States

Here's a list of guides for other states.

All 50 states.

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah; File a Motion to Satisfy Judgment
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

    Guides on how to beat every debt collector

    Being sued by a different debt collector? Were making guides on how to beat each one.

    Win against credit card companies

    Is your credit card company suing you? Learn how you can beat each one.

    Going to Court for Credit Card Debt — Key Tips

    How to Negotiate Credit Card Debts

    How to Settle a Credit Card Debt Lawsuit — Ultimate Guide

    Get answers to these FAQs

    Need more info on statutes of limitations? Read our 50-state guide.

    Why do debt collectors block their phone numbers?

    How long do debt collectors take to respond to debt validation letters?

    What are the biggest debt collector companies in the US?

    Is Zombie Debt Still a Problem in 2019?

    SoloSuit FAQ

    If a car is repossessed, do I still owe the debt?

    Is Portfolio Recovery Associates Legit?

    Is There a Judgment Against Me Without my Knowledge?

    Should I File Bankruptcy Before or After a Judgment?

    What is a default judgment?— What do I do?

    Summoned to Court for Medical Bills — What Do I Do?

    What Happens If Someone Sues You and You Have No Money?

    What Happens If You Never Answer Debt Collectors?

    What Happens When a Debt Is Sold to a Collection Agency

    What is a Stipulated Judgment?

    What is the Deadline for a Defendants Answer to Avoid a Default Judgment?

    Can a Judgement Creditor Take my Car?

    Can I Settle a Debt After Being Served?

    Can I Stop Wage Garnishment?

    Can You Appeal a Default Judgement?

    Do I Need a Debt Collection Defense Attorney?

    Do I Need a Payday Loans Lawyer?

    Do student loans go away after 7 years? — Student Loan Debt Guide

    Am I Responsible for My Spouses Medical Debt?

    Should I Marry Someone With Debt?

    Can a Debt Collector Leave a Voicemail?

    How Does Debt Assignment Work?

    What Happens If a Defendant Does Not Pay a Judgment?

    How Does Debt Assignment Work?

    Can You Serve Someone with a Collections Lawsuit at Their Work?

    What Is a Warrant in Debt?

    How Many Times Can a Judgment be Renewed in Oklahoma?

    Can an Eviction Be Reversed?

    Does Debt Consolidation Have Risks?

    What Happens If You Avoid Getting Served Court Papers?

    Does Student Debt Die With You?

    Can Debt Collectors Call You at Work in Texas?

    How Much Do You Have to Be in Debt to File for Chapter 7?

    What Is the Statute of Limitations on Debt in Washington?

    How Long Does a Judgment Last?

    Can Private Disability Payments Be Garnished?

    Can Debt Collectors Call From Local Numbers?

    Does the Fair Credit Reporting Act Work in Florida?

    The Truth: Should You Never Pay a Debt Collection Agency?

    Should You Communicate with a Debt Collector in Writing or by Telephone?

    Do I Need a Debt Negotiator?

    What Happens After a Motion for Default Is Filed?

    Can a Process Server Leave a Summons Taped to My Door?

    Learn More With These Additional Resources:

    Need help managing your finances? Check out these resources.

    How to Make a Debt Validation Letter - The Ultimate Guide

    How to Make a Motion to Compel Arbitration Without an Attorney

    How to Stop Wage Garnishment — Everything You Need to Know

    How to File an FDCPA Complaint Against Your Debt Collector (Ultimate Guide)

    Defending Yourself in Court Against a Debt Collector

    Tips on you can to file an FDCPA lawsuit against a debt collection agency

    Advice on how to answer a summons for debt collection.

    Effective strategies for how to get back on track after a debt lawsuit

    New Hampshire Statute of Limitations on Debt

    Sample Cease and Desist Letter Against Debt Collectors

    The Ultimate Guide to Responding to a Debt Collection Lawsuit in Utah

    West Virginia Statute of Limitations on Debt

    What debt collectors cannot do — FDCPA explained

    Defending Yourself in Court Against Debt Collector

    How to Liquidate Debt

    Arkansas Statute of Limitations on Debt

    Youre Drowning in Debt — Heres How to Swim

    Help! Im Being Sued by My Debt Collector

    How to Make a Motion to Vacate Judgment

    How to Answer Summons for Debt Collection in Vermont

    North Dakota Statute of Limitations on Debt

    ClearPoint Debt Management Review

    Indiana Statute of Limitations on Debt

    Oregon Eviction Laws - What They Say

    CuraDebt Debt Settlement Review

    How to Write a Re-Aging Debt Letter

    How to Appear in Court by Phone

    How to Use the Doctrine of Unclean Hands

    Debt Consolidation in Eugene, Oregon

    Summoned to Court for Medical Bills? What to Do Next

    How to Make a Debt Settlement Agreement

    Received a 3-Day Eviction Notice? Heres What to Do

    How to Answer a Lawsuit for Debt Collection

    Tips for Leaving the Country With Unpaid Credit Card Debt

    Kansas Statute of Limitations on Debt Collection

    How to File in Small Claims Court in Iowa

    How to File a Civil Answer in Kings County Supreme Court

    Roseland Associates Debt Consolidation Review

    How to Stop a Garnishment

    Debt Eraser Review

    Do Debt Collectors Ever Give Up?

    Can They Garnish Your Wages for Credit Card Debt?

    How Often Do Credit Card Companies Sue for Non-Payment?

    How Long Does a Judgement Last?

    ​​How Long Before a Creditor Can Garnish Wages?

    How to Beat a Bill Collector in Court